Saturday, January 27, 2007

Seeds and Eco-Footprints

Veggie Garden Update: I received my first batch of seeds yesterday. These were from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company (http://www.rareseeds.com/). I was impressed with how quickly I got them (though I do live in Missouri and the company is in Missouri as well, though further south). They also threw in a free packet of seeds of Golden Marconi Peppers which are a sweet pepper, so that will be nice in comparison with my hot Chinese Five-Color Peppers.



So, now I’ve got to work on finding some containers and deciding what kind of mix to use in the pots. I’ve read varying suggestions, though I think I’ll probably go by the growing guide from Baker Creek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I started this blog a little over a week ago, I have been searching the Internet for like-minded people who post regularly. There are quite a few blogs that I’ve been enjoying. The most regular posters, I’ve put in my link list—a list that will likely grow and change as I have become mildly obsessed with reading blogs.

One of the themes I see over and over again in posts, about pages and so forth is the idea that people are trying to erase the footprint they leave on the Earth. I find this a fascinating topic. I too would like to put out as little as I can in terms of hurting the environment, but I think this idea of erasing (or lessening) our footprint is a hard one. It’s not the “American Way.”

I think the majority of Americans are brought up being taught to put their mark on the world. Not necessarily there environmental mark in that they should pollute and damage the delicate balance of ecosystems, but to make our mark so that when we are gone there is proof that we have lived.

We are taught we should want to make a difference, make tons of money, have as much stuff as we possibly can—and sadly those last two outweigh the first. When our national motto is MORE MORE MORE, then the environment isn’t much involved in the thought process.

I, for whatever melding of genes and parenting, have never really wanted more. I’ve never been called materialistic… in fact; my Mom often finds my lack of buying things to my detriment. This was more so before I entered the “real world.” I’ve become a bit more of a shopper and spender and less of a wait for others to give me what I want. But still, my goal is not to make tons of money, have tons of things. In fact, I want to live a more simple life and I don’t want my (future) children to grow up with video games or zombies in front of the TV.

But, there is this presence around me that has that allure of “stuff” still right there in my mind. I used to watch an ungodly amount of TV. Since I have moved in with my boyfriend that isn’t as much the case. (I spend too much time on the computer). This week, I wasn’t feeling well a couple days so happened to watch more TV than I had been watching in weeks. And I began to see these ads bombarding me with what I should want, how I should be, and all the quick fixes to get there. I watch TV and I feel fat, poor and sloppy. Maybe I am the sloppy part, but my weight is fine and I don’t have a lot of money, but I have a roof over my head and food and plenty of stuff and plenty of people who would help me out if I were in financial crisis.

There are a lot of forces out there that try to make us feel unhappy with what we have. I’m not one of those people who says we shouldn’t watch TV. I enjoy The Office and Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert and Top Chef a little too much to do that. I think TV is fine form of entertainment, as long as I’m remaining conscious of the advertising affect on me.

I don’t need more, and I don’t always want more. I want less, and I want to create the smallest possible footprint in terms of the Earth’s health.

No comments: