Monday, May 28, 2007

Still Expecting Mountains

I really love the mountains. This is a problem being a lifelong midwesterner who will probably stay a lifelong midwesterner, but I love the midwest too, so I suppose it all works out. It's just, I keep thinking I'm going to look at the horizon and see mountains, but I just see flat-flat-flat.

We got back yesterday, tired and sore. We hiked only about 11 or 12 miles worth of trails, but were on our feet or in the car the whole time. The only time we were in our hotel was to shower and sleep. So, all in all, a successful trip.

We've decided that a return trip to Gatlinburg isn't very likely. We'd already done most of the museums (which, most, are very neat) on our first trip, so we were disappointed with the less than steller options on this trip. We love the Smokies, but Gatlinburg is too busy, cigarette smoky, and has a certain element of unpleasant people (which we found on this trip, not the one before). So hopefully we'll make it back to the park and bypass Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge altogether.

I'll have a more detailed post of our drive and hikes throughout the week. Right now I am stuffed full of BBQ and still a bit exhausted from the trip. But, I'll leave you with some pictures. =)




No comments: