Thursday, February 22, 2007

It Feels Like Spring, But It's Still Winter: What Should I Be Eating?

Oh, my, but it’s been a busy few days. We’ve actually gotten some cleaning and packing done (not quite as much as I’d like though). Not to mention the weather has been delicious. I sat outside yesterday morning eating my breakfast realizing this was the first February in a while that seems to have flown by… and now it seems like the last week will last forever.

I am ready for warmth and sun. More ready than I thought I was. Sitting there, soaking it all in, even with the cool slightly chilling breezes, I was desperate for those gorgeous spring days of low 60s, sun, still a little cool but in a nice, refreshing way.

Still, despite the warmer temperatures it’s still winter and still a long way off from fresh produce. So, I have a bit of a question for all you lovely people out there: what are you eating this time of year?

Since this is my first year entering the whole eating local/eating organic lifestyle, I don’t have anything frozen or stored from last year. Also, I’m really picky and don’t like a wide variety of vegetables that most people would consider staples (potatoes, peas, spinach, basically any vegetable that is cooked and green… or cooked at all).

I was planning our meals for next week, trying to come up with a few meatless dishes—or something where meat wasn’t the main part of the meal, and I was having a hard time thinking what I should be eating right now… what would be local or in season? Add to that, what would I like? I’m open to trying new things (which is why I have some squash recipe in my meal plan), but I’m also woefully ignorant.

So, what are you guys eating this time of year (whether it's from your freezer or from the store)? What kind of good winter/early spring recipes do you use that utilize more seasonal/local/organic ingredients?

1 comment:

Kathie said...

We eat lots of soups, dried beans, pizzas, etc. We live off of what was canned or frozen mostly by us. It's a tough road and sometimes I break down and buy non-local lettuce just because I need a fresh salad...