Monday, March 26, 2007

Spring Has Sprung... Way Too Quickly

The trees are blooming like crazy and it's been just about overnight. One night, it was bare branches and brown grass--the next flowering Bradford Pear trees, Redbuds, and Forsythia. All in massive, full-blown bloom in the blink of an eye. It's beautiful--for the short week it will last. Either the heat (83 yesterday) will get to these early bloomers or the inevitable cold snap that follows will.

Yesterday, R. and I went hiking. Along the forest floor, the anemones and spring beauties were out in force, along with some Dutchman's britches and the occassional violet.

Everything is blooming and spreading in this 20-25 degree above normal weather.

I find this irritating for a long list of reasons. First of all, Spring is my favorite season and the week of really too hot temperatures just speeds everything up so that the pretty blooms and early smells are lost in the heat and will just as soon be lost in, likely, a below normal cold snap. I don't get to enjoy the blooms for more than a few days and the gradual warming of the world is lost in the up and down of way too hot and way too cold. It's really a shame.

I used to spend Spring Break's bundled up searching for signs of wildflowers at my Grandma's house in southern Iowa. We rarely found something so early in the season, but the search was fun nevertheless.

When winter pops to summer and back in forth, I feel like my Spring is lost somewhere in the middle and I don't get to enjoy that search for the first signs of green, the first blooms of the year. Instead, they all come out to once and don't stick around long enough.

On a happier note, my seedlings are popping up like crazy. The strawberry popcorn I planted has quickly outgrown the seed starter and needs to be transplanted, and the tomatoes aren't far behind. The peppers are finally peeking out, but the strawberries are still being stubborn. Exciting to see the little shoots of green, though!

No comments: