Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dinasours weren't driving SUVs.

"I mean, my Dad said there was climate change when the dinasaurs were around, and they weren't driving cars. So, I don't think it's us causing global warming."

Ack! This is what I had to hear last night at work. I tutor reading/writing and a student brought in his research paper on Global Warming. His thesis is that global warming needs to be stopped. "Oh, great topic!" I say. Then, he tells me about half way through he doesn't really believe in global warming, it just seemed like the easiest side to take. Huh? And then he tells me the above quote. WHAT?

I would love to pass this off as a one-student, one-time event. Surely, surely this isn't a prevalent feeling with young people. Sure, old, stodgy conservative Republicans, but not the youth of America.

But, a few weeks ago I was at my other job, online tutoring, when a student wanted help with a paper. A paper about how pesticides are good and without pesticides we wouldn't have all the food we wanted whenever we wanted... because having that is a NECESSITY! No! Please tell me students aren't learning this--whether from teachers or parents or even the media, tell me this isn't the prevelant thought.

I'd love to pass it off on political parties as well, but let me tell you about my sister. As liberal as they come, bordering genius, Pre-med, going to take two years off med school to do Teach for America. This girl is INVOLVED, in her college town led a group focused on banning smoking in restaurants. And, then, she tells me the other day... "I think pesticides are good." WHAT????

This is so disconcerting. These people are going to be leading the world in some 20 years. But, if they want something-- an SUV, an orange in December, they should have it--regardless of the implications on our Earth.

Despite being such a hot-button topic, climate change and global warming and especially eating locally and organically still gets pushed to the side. We can't see the "now" effects of all that is happening with our food supply and our environment... and who cares? As long as there's McDonald's, gas for my car, and highways to drive on... what's the point of all that... dirt!

Our egocentric, selfish, now, now, now-mentality astounds me continually. They say that one person can make a difference, and I want so badly to believe that, but sometimes I really do wonder if we can change our mindset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll make a difference. Your clear-minded attitude gives me hope.

pablo
www.roundrockjournal.com