Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Jumble of Things

Whew, back in my own apartment! I have to admit I enjoyed curling up with a kitty at night and the broad cable selection of my parent's house, but it is good to be back in my home. My parent's home doesn't feel like my home anymore, much to their disappointment, but I only lived their 5 years--and now I am almost seven years removed from it, so it's just not mine. All right, onto my jumble of things:


Jumble 1:

I have quite a mess on my hands, because R. was sick all week and couldn't finish my unpacking efforts while I was away. This is his excuse anyway, but I don't think the place would have been any different on my return had he been feeling any better. He'd just have some other excuse in the wings. :) So, that is my project for this afternoon since I finally got my taxes done this morning. I think if I can get things put away and organized, I'll feel a lot less... jumpy.

Jumble 2:
One of the things that being home did was give me time to respark my creative juices in the fiction writing department. I have been writing short stories and novels since I was in elementary school, and the past few years have been an up and down dedication to my series of novels based on one family.

Over 2 years ago I began self-publishing these novels through Lulu Press. Somehow I have the heart to sell them to friends and family, but not the heart or fortitude to submit them to publishers.

As I am getting ready to finish up my fifth book in the series, I realize I didn't have anything on this blog about my novels. So, I'm going to be adding a little button to the sidebar. My novels are family-oriented romance novels. I don't think they would fit into the mainstream romance novel market today, because they are not very racy... if you could call them racy at all, and they're character focused and driven. No spies, vampires, murders, etc. It's the story of a family, and the people they fall in love with. Anyway, there's free previews of the first chapters of each if anyone likes romance novels :)

Jumble 3:

I need to get my seeds started! I finally got some containers lined up last week, but I need to get some soil mix to get stuff started. I'm hoping I can get this project accomplished by the end of next week. Then we'll be on our way to an odd assortment of vegetables.

I am, however, worried about sun. Our porch only gets sun in the afternoon, and even that it has to filter through the deck slats. I'm not sure what I can do about this except watch the porch to find the best sun spots and place the containers there once they are ready to be outside.

In the end, the project of growing at least one thing I can eat will probably fail, but it will be a learning process. And, hopefully next year I will have a house and a yard with sun to plant my veggies in.

In other news, I was driving not too far from our apartment last week and noticed a big sign for a farmer's market coming soon in a strip mall only a few miles down the road. I could not be more excited to see where this food will be coming from, but hopefully it will be an excellent resource for local food this summer!

~~

I hope to get my posts more... cohesive now that there's no big (planned) changes, vacations, etc looming on my horizon. Back to the old grindstone of routine. Thank God!

No comments: